Monday, March 5, 2012

How the Shadows Changed My Life

I guess I will go ahead and give a background to this event. It was the early 90's and I was about 8 years old. Our family had moved from Beaverton, Oregon to a much smaller Vancouver, WA. The house we had moved into was not on a street, but located in the backyard of a house. My understanding of it now is that this old house was built before the city grid was laid out, and thus ending up between two city blocks.

It was a small cottage, the attic was converted into 2 bedrooms and being a kid, it was deemed habitable for me to live in. I always felt uneasy in the house and sometimes scared. I would sit outside in the front yard waiting for my parents to come home, when I was left alone. Being 8 and not knowing about real ghosts or hauntings, it really didn't make sense at the time.

Now, here is my encounter. One night while I was sleeping, I felt hot and decided to sit up in bed. At
this point nothing felt weird or wrong. As I looked to my left about 3 feet standing from me was a solid shadow of a figure. This figure was standing still and I could feel it staring down at me. I could not see the eyes or any human features. A porch light shed a minute amount of light up into my room, enough for me to say that this figure was darker than anything else in the room. Sitting up in bed I would figure its height to be about 4' 10". A solid head, shoulders, torso and arms with one arm perched on the headpiece of the bed. After a couple seconds, maybe 2 or 3 knowing that this thing was not human, I threw the covers over my head and laid in fear. Not knowing at all what this thing was, or why it was standing next to my bed, staring at me. Minutes turned to hours, hours turned into morning. I only decided to lift the blanket and peak out when I could feel the sun warm the room.

I can honestly say that this was the most pure fear I have ever felt. The presence was not kind or neutral, the feeling that I had, instinctively told me that this was a harmful entity. I still think about this encounter bi-weekly, almost 19 years later. Not a night terror, not a shadow on the wall.
I apologize if this was hard to read, I'm not a writer. After all this time I just needed to get it off my chest.

No comments:

Post a Comment